Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Henrietta Lacks

As you can see by the speed in which I read this book, I loved it! I was sucked in right away with Henrietta's horrifying cancer ordeal. I was stunned to read how she suffered and was treated with such a lack of humanity. But I was glad that her suffering was not for naught; her life goes on through her cells. I was appalled by the fact that her family never received any monetary compensation while others became rich. I do not believe for one second that the original doctors that took her cells did not profit in some way. I feel that in some way the author of the book will profit in a big way, while the Lack's family will once again be left with very little. I know that this author set up an education fund and will put "some" proceeds from the sale of the book into the fund. this, however, is not enough. I'm going to try to track down that fund and donate myself. I encourage all of you to do the same. I feel compelled to not let Henrietta down but to let her family know that there are people out there that care and will try to help the family. the family that lost their mother. I'm not trying to over idealize Henrietta but she had a hard life and died a hard death. her children suffered, especially little Elsie, left alone in that frightening institution. it's a disgrace. being black in the jim crow south allowed this story to unfold the way that it did, and I for one, want to do something about it to pay restitution to the Lack's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment