Thursday, January 6, 2011

moved, angry, bewildered, and lost

hi gals,
look, I loved this book at the beginning and through the middle but by the end of it I wanted to throw the book across the room. It was bewildering to me that Cleave could have such a grasp of Little Bee, and write with such profound "knowing" of what her experience was growing up in Nigeria and the atrocities she lived through and he developed the exact horror of how it would be for Little Bee to can go on living after such atrocities. for instance, when he writes "yes, one of them was horror, but the other one was hope. I realized I had killed myself back to life."
But then Cleave creates a character like Sarah, why? A women who was callous, insipid, foolish, naive, and down right stupid, all I could take away from that was Cleave personally has issues with women or has very little regard for women or he has had no relationships with women or he hated his mother (okay, I'm just being silly) but it was very difficult to understand. actually, the book started to fall apart midway through and it was as if Cleave didn't know where to go after Little Bee's story and he cobbled together an ending that did not do the character of Little Bee justice. with that said these are the parts of the book I liked the best. "maybe there are stories written on the ceiling that go something like "the-men-came-and-they-brought-us-colored-dresses-fetched-wood-for-the-fire. . ." I cried a little reading that part. it was so moving after reading about what had truly happened and I wished it could be true for Little Bee and all the refugees. I loved all the analogies about being a refugee. and how one could be a refuge from oneself! great writing.
I loved charlie as batman and the line "it was the kind of summer where no one took their costumes." I loved Yvette and the girl in the yellow sari with her see through bag of yellow.
I'm glad I read most of the book but it really did make me angry, bewildered, and disappointed by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment